Friday, 12 June 2015

My Independence Day

Today we celebrate Independence Day in the Philippines.

Now, since I am preduty, this means, I have a day off on this day. And so me and my old college buddies, one of which is actually my classmate all the way til med school, as well as a good friend who was a nurse in JBL, a hospital I rotated when I was a clerk, decided to hang out.

Okay this doesn't seem patriotic, why would I just do something I can do any day? Well, I will tell you, I can't do this every day. With my hectic schedule, it is a rarity for me to be seen in a coffee house or a mall. So, today, being Independence Day, I still thought it was appropriate to meet and hang out with long time buddies that I haven't seen in just as long, given my schedule.

I met up with my co-intern, Dr. Lee, who was my college mate back in biology, so we've known each other for 9 years now. We were joined by our other college mate, RAM; together we were to meet up with, yet, another college mate of ours, Mick, to discuss an upcoming LAN party we call WASD Party. Sadly, the latter didn't make it today.

P_20150612_161058_BF
Left to right: Me, Dr. Lee, RAM


P_20150612_131843_BF
Starbucks meeting



P_20150612_131823_BF
Starbucks meeting



Later on, a good friend of me and Dr. Lee also joined in, Ma'am Nimfa. She was a nurse in JBL, a hospital we rotated in as medical clerks. It was nice seeing her again; brought about a lot of good and funny memories for me and Dr. Lee when we were clerks in JBL.

P_20150612_142426_BF
Ma'am Nimfa joined us!



P_20150612_142357_BF
Ma'am Nimfa joined us!




It is of note that Dr. Lee will return to South Korea this coming July to serve for 2 and a half years, putting hold on him taking the medical licensure examination for that long. Sure, he is bummed about it, but duty calls; he would rather start practicing medicine, and who wouldn't? You've gotten this far in year medical studies, might as well go for broke! But alas, reality bites.

It also sucks for me, yet another close of mine leaving the country. Sure, in time, I may also leave the Philippines to go back home in the States and practice medicine, but seeing how everyone is maturing and thinking about their careers, going different paths from me, making it more difficult to see old friends, makes it depressing for me at times.

Especially friends like Dr. Lee that I've known since our Biology days. A total of 9 years of friendship. Breaks me inside.

Luckily, apart from good memories he gave me a book stand. To most people this may mean nothing, but for us medical students and interns, it means a lot. I will cherish this gift and it will be very useful as I prepare for my licensure examination. It is to be my good luck charm.


P_20150612_212403
It so happens, this book stand is great for tablets, too, when reading ebooks!