Monday, 26 December 2011

Self Portraits; Pseudo-Silhouette Photography

Played My Heart's Lament


At first, I thought of trying some more infrared photography to get into grips with it, but as the weather wasn't too nice to produce any usable shots, I was left disappointed with today.

I still, however, tried to post process my photos of today, one, or should I say, ten of which ended up a practice for panoramic photography; it was just practice, so I don't think it is really good enough to post in Flickr or here. But while I was post processing, my sister, Debbie, joked "Why don't you take a photo of me?"... I took it seriously, though.

I set up my Nikon D5000, grabbed my Sigma 30mm, placed my Yong Nuo YN465 flash with Yong Nuo RF-602 trigger on a tripod (I don't own a light stand as of the moment) and placed it on the proper angle. Used the typical settings (for me anyway) for portraits; switching between an aperture of f/2.8 but mostly shooting at f/8 or f/11. Adjusting the ambient light and the light emitted by the flash by adjusting the shutter speed and ISO (I hardly adjust any settings on the actual flash). Having done all that, my sister had to leave the house for a meeting with her fellow doctors... WOW, I spent so much time setting up and then my supposedly model left. LOL

Before I decided to clean up, I remembered that I wanted to try a self portrait in the style of silhouettes, so I thought to myself, I might as well take a photo of myself while trying that effect!

First shot that completely made myself into a silhouette seemed kinda boring to me. So I adjusted by attempting to create that circular pattern when the flash hits the wall at certain angle; I decided to place the flash behind where I'd be sitting, at the height of my waist, and having the head pointed upwards. After a test shot, I got that circular pattern I was looking for.

Since I had the head pointing upwards, some of the light bounced off the ceiling back to me creating a pseudo-silhouette while having the background completely blown out. The shot in this entry was the best one IMO and I had to square crop it (sadly, removing most of the circular pattern from the flash) and made it black and white (it created a way more dramatic effect).

The best thing about of silhouettes (in this case, pseudo-silhouette), nobody can notice any "imperfections" on your face. LOL

PEACE!